I feel that it is far more empowering to focus on my method of processing life experiences, rather than focusing on the insights that we have received from working my process. Teaching others how to work the Unity Process, allows for them to receive insights and results from the inside-out, rather than trying to share my results, and placing my knowledge, understanding, and wisdom upon them from the outside-in; this is akin to teaching people how to fish rather than giving them a fish.
As a part of my own daily inner work, I stumbled upon “The Trivium” method of critical thinking, which comprises the first three of the seven liberal arts. It aligns perfectly with the Unity Process, which I’ve been working and refining for many years now, and we realized that we had been using it without knowing we were using it for many years. In fact, I unknowingly used this system of critical thinking in my sessions with clients since I began doing them, and recently realized how aligned I already was with the Trivium.
The Classical Trivium has been the system which employs the Trivium out of order, to enslave and control the minds of the people, conversely, I feel that utilizing the actual Trivium provides people with a way out of the slavery control system. The Trivium Method of critical thinking employs three steps that must be worked in a specific order, they are:
- Grammar (knowledge, input): asks/answers what (who, where, & when) questions
- Logic (understanding, processor): asks/answers why questions
- Rhetoric (wisdom, output): asks/answers how questions
I feel that the Trivium is an empowering tool that has the potential to free not just a few individuals, but masses of people… this method can potentially open the floodgates to worldwide transformation. The Unity Process is just a practical way to work the Trivium method within the framework of personal relationships, to gain self-awareness and intimacy.
I’ve taken the Trivium into the realm of emotional intelligence, where I feel into each emotional trigger as the “what“, process it with “why“, and then synthesize it into a new thought pattern so that we do not have such triggers in the future — a new “how“. So rather than using the Trivium to win arguments, we use it to do Jungian shadow work, where we integrate our susceptibility and attachments to the use of self deceptive reasoning, thus allowing participants to better embody wisdom in their every day lives.
I have attached some links to some listening, viewing, and reading materials that you may find useful below; some are to other people’s work, and some are to my own.
UnSpun 186 – Empathetic Reasoning and the Trivium (w/ Jan Irvin)
UnSpun 188 – Trivium Refresher (w/ Jan Irvin)
UnSpun 189 – Fallacies and Rhetoric (w/ Jan Irvin)
The Trivium and Empathetic Reasoning: Critical Thinking and Character Development
The Trivium, the Dunning-Kruger Effect, and Intellectual-defense
My other links:
- The Trivium by Mark Passio
- The Unity Process & the Trivium
- Crash Course on the Fundamentals of Defense Against Manipulation
- Being, Doing, and the Trivium
- Logic Before Grammar: Putting the Cart Before the Horse
- Renew Your Mind with the Unity Process & the Trivium
- Jesus, Logic, & the Trivium
- The Reason for a Logical Jesus
- The Unity Process & Logic
- Jan Irvin – Red Ice Radio – Trivium Education
- Honesty & the Truth
- Critical Thinking in Your Personal Interactions
- How You Became their Slave
- The Trivium Method of Critical Thinking and Creative Problem Solving
- Is Spirituality Logical?
- The Supposed Advantage of False Rhetoric
- GnosticMedia.com w/ Jan irvin
- The Trivium Method vs. The Classical Trivium: A Briefing by Kevin Cole / History… So It Doesn’t Repeat (Interview)
- The Trivium – How to Free Your Mind – Jan Irvin at the Free Your Mind conference – 04-10-11
- TriviumEducation.com by Jan Irvin
- EvolveConsciousness.com and the Trivium (we highly encourage the four part series on the Trivum at this link)
- 42 Fallacies – Free PDF download
- Fallacy a Day (a podcast on logical fallacies (lies/deceptions), to listen to daily, to know and understand what they are)
- History… Connected: Merging the Trivium Method with Non-Violent Communication (NVC)
- The Ruiner – Tools – The Trivium Method
THE UNITY PROCESS: I’ve created an integrative methodology called the Unity Process, which combines the philosophy of Natural Law, the Trivium Method, Socratic Questioning, Jungian shadow work, and Meridian Tapping—into an easy to use system that allows people to process their emotional upsets, work through trauma, correct poor thinking, discover meaning, set healthy boundaries, refine their viewpoints, and to achieve a positive focus. You can give it a try by contacting me for a private session.
Did you enjoy the article? Show your appreciation and buy me a coffee: